Friday, November 5, 2010

Birthday Cake for AC Label Employees


If you follow my blog, you know a couple things about
AC Label:
My sister works there and they get to eat lots of my sweets when I have leftovers.
Her co-workers are some of my biggest fans and I am always happy when one of them places an order.

There have been several birthdays at the office in recent weeks, and one very nice employee wanted to treat each one to a very special cake.


AC Label makes labels...shocking!
Their company colors are black, blue and white.

It was requested that there is some kind of label theme as well as individual cakes or cupcakes for each of the employees celebrating a birthday.


My sister was kind enough to send me some information about how they run the labels on the press machines which clicked right in with the idea I had in my head.


The cake is my most popular...which I have officially named The King Cake after Julie King who pretty much invented it when she placed
this order.

Dark chocolate and white chocolate cake with fresh raspberry and dark chocolate ganache filling, covered in raspberry swiss meringue buttercream and fondant.



I covered the main cake in blue fondant and draped two white pieces of fondant across the top.
I used a small cardboard roll on one side to look like a roll of labels and used the stitch roller thingy to mark where the labels tear off on both rolls.


I used a texture tile on black fondant and cut out a bunch of square "labels" and used melted white chocolate to add the HAPPY BIRTHDAY script and names.
The leftover labels were added to the front and the back of the cake, lining the base - just for fun.


Originally my plan was to make small individual cakes, frosted and covered in fondant with the name labels on top...but after about 2 weeks straight of baking my patience was running a bit low and after one failed attempt, I threw in the towel. It was not my best moment in the kitchen and I'm grateful only my dog witnessed my frustration at these innocent little cakes, but with time running out I opted to make cupcakes.



Each cupcake is dark chocolate, filled with the dark chocolate ganache and fresh raspberry then covered in the raspberry buttercream and covered in blue fondant to match the cake. I tried to make white bows to wrap around the cupcake, but once again...my lack of patience got the best of me and I decided to use these cupcake wraps that I bought a very long time ago and seemed to match the cake perfectly.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Awesome. I love blog and look forward to see what you will do next.