Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!


This being my first Thanksgiving without my family, my boyfriend and I were invited to a friend's house for dinner.


They made dinner and I made dessert :)


THIS picture was my inspiration and I looked at it every five seconds during the whole process. The only thing I wanted to do different was the feathers.

The cake is pumpkin spice with cream cheese frosting...super delicious.
I ate many of the carved pieces...because I can.


I stacked four 9" round cakes on top of each other and then carved until I achieved the shape I was looking for. Once I got that done I gave it a light crumb coat and covered the body in chocolate fondant that I mixed with a little bit of white fondant to lighten the brown color.

The feathers were made of colored white fondant and I used the back of a knife to add some markings and then attached 3 feathers each to wooden skewers and let them dry so they would stand straight.



The head is made out of all chocolate fondant with a wood skewer through the body for support.


Although a small challenge to cut and serve, the cake was a great way to end the evening.


I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: