Monday, August 30, 2010

Lakers & Leftovers


I received an order for a LARGE Lakers jersey cake for a surprise birthday party this weekend.
The customer wanted my (now famous) dark & white chocolate cake filled with dark chocolate ganache and fresh raspberry filling, covered in raspberry swiss meringue buttercream. She asked that the cake serve at least 40 people and have her daughter's name and age on the jersey.

I baked four 11x15 cakes, 2 of each and then put it all together.

I decided to alternate the cakes so it wasn't too boring when they cut into it and I spread the ganache directly over the raspberry filling.


Oh fondant...I am still learning how to make you do what I want.
Although I think I did a decent job covering this huge cake, getting the side panels on and managing to fit such a long name...It could have been better.



Note: For whatever reason, my camera did not like the purple fondant. I took many pictures in different lighting and they all came out blue.

I currently have three letter cut-out sizes: small, medium and large.
I used the medium ones because the small are REALLY small but the mediums were still a bit too large. I do not have the skills or confidence yet to cut my own letters by hand, I still need some more practice.


In the future I will try some new techniques that will decrease/eliminate the powdered sugar that gets left on the fondant when you roll it out, that's something I wish I would have researched before this cake.


I saved some scraps from the cakes I made this week and decided when I was done with all my orders I would use my leftover cake scraps, fillings, buttercream and chocolate shavings to make myself and my lucky sister some small mini cakes.

I mean, I can't just let good stuff go to waste!


I used a cookie cutter to cut out some small square and circle shaped cakes.



I filled the squares with leftover apple filling and covered them in vanilla buttercream then added some sprinkles and a blob of apple filling just for fun.



I filled the circles with leftover raspberry filling and covered them in raspberry buttercream and decorated them with chocolate shavings.



It was late, I was tired and I just wanted to get these things done...so please forgive my frosting job - I was just going to eat them and didn't care if the corners were straight or level, as you can see.


I often don't get to eat my own cakes unless I'm lucky enough to be invited to whatever party they are going to...so this was a special treat and made the perfect midnight snack.


No comments: