Monday, July 12, 2010

Wow Wow Wubbzy!!!


Ever heard of him?

I hadn't until a friend asked me to make a cake for her daughter's 3rd birthday party.


So, I did what I always do when I want to know something...I googled it.



I was able to find templates for this cake on the NickJr website which came in real handy.

The cake itself is french vanilla with fresh bananas and caramel for the filling, see:



I covered the cake in swiss meringue vanilla-banana buttercream frosting using Martha Stewart's
recipe then adding the banana flavor.

I made the arms, legs and ears with my favorite sugar cookie recipe.



Cutting out the limbs was a bit challenging but I managed to do so without breaking too many of them or burning them all, which is why I purposely made a few of each.


Frosting the limbs wasn't as easy as I thought.

If I could just learn how to use royal icing, I think it would have looked much cleaner.


Here it is:


I wanted to use buttercream on this cake because it compliments the banana caramel but I think that this cake would have been a great candidate for fondant.

I am thinking that I need to bite the bullet and learn how to work with fondant.


So I've just decided to start practically with the stuff.

I'm gonna make some small cakes and play around with it.


If my practice cakes don't look like total crap, I'll post some pictures.

No comments: